UBU Theater in Tyringham, MA is seeking a non-Equity Stage Manager for an outdoor, site-specific, community-based, daytime production of Our Town by Thornton Wilder. It will be staged outdoors on two locations in Tyringham, MA, to which the audience will move between acts; the front lawn of Union Church and the Tyringham Cemetery. The cast, crew and community volunteers will be primarily residents of Tyringham. The Stage Manager will play a critical role in our Production Team working closely with the Producer, Director and community participants. The Stage Manager is responsible for managing the logistics of the rehearsal and performance process.
● Production Meeting, April 22.
● Auditions May 20 and June 3, 4.
● Rehearsals are weekends only, starting June 24 through July 30.
● Tech week is Monday through Friday, July 31 – August 4.
● Daytime performances are August 5, 6, 12, 13.
● Location of rehearsals will be in the town of Tyringham, MA: Union Church and Tyringham Cemetery.
● Scheduling rehearsals and collaborating to create the tech and show pattern schedule.
● Running rehearsals with the director.
● Ensuring accurate and timely communication with the producer, cast and crew.
● Assembling and maintaining all necessary paperwork for the production.
● Supervising the run crew during rehearsals and performances
● Supervise actors during rehearsals and performances.
● Managing the timing and logistics of performance, including timing, cues, etc.
● Help supervise tech rehearsals and tech during performances.
● You will work closely with the Director and Producer as we wrangle this small rural town of 400 into putting on a play.
● The ideal candidate should be very organized, patient, pro-active, collaborator, and able to handle unexpected situations with grace, humor and tact.
● The ideal candidate should have a basic understanding or desire to work with non-professionals that are participating in a hands-on theater experience for the first time.
● The ideal candidate should have basic stage managing experience including managing rehearsals and running tech both in rehearsals and during performances.
● The candidate should be comfortable working with people of all ages and theatrical experiences.
● The Candidate will need reliable transportation.
Salary: $800. Free housing will be provided, if needed.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and list of 2 applicable references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Need to hire asap. No phone calls, please. Must be available asap for 4/22 production meeting and 5/20 & 6/3,4 for auditions. Current college student or early career stage managers welcome to apply.
About UBU Theater:
UBU Theater’s Mission is to give communities a voice through theater. UBU’s Vision is to identify and engage with communities who lack equitable access to theater arts. In partnership with each community we develop unique, custom, theater-based projects or curriculum to articulate a community’s voice.
For the Our Town Tyringham Project we are providing a community-based theater experience that will empower, engage and celebrate this rural community of 400.